Writing settings control the writing experience and provide alternatives to customize WordPress site.
Writing settings control the writing experience and provide alternatives to customize WordPress site. These settings control features in add and editing posts, pages and post types.
The steps to access the following writing settings are –
Step (1) − To change the writing settings, go to Settings → Writing options
Step (2) − The Writing Settings page is shown in the following screen.
The details of the fields on the page are as follows.
- Formatting − This field defines two sub-options for better user experience in WordPress.
- The first option will convert text-based emoticons to graphic-based emoticons for graphics on Convert Emoticons such as 🙂 and turn performance.
- The second option should be corrected to correct the nested xhtml to WordPress, automatically correct the invalid XHTML within the post or page.
- Default Post Category − This is a category applied to a post and you can leave it as a hierarchy.
- Default Post Format − This is used by the theme to choose the post format to be applied for the post or to make different styles for different types of posts.
- Post via e-mail − This option uses the e-mail address to create and publish posts to your blog via e-mail. To use it, you need to set up a secret e-mail account with POP3 access, and any mail received at this address will be posted.
- Mail Server − This allows you to read the e-mail that you send to WordPress and store them for retrieval. For this, you must have a POP3 compatible mail server and have a URI address like mail.example.com, which you should enter here.
- Login Name − To create a post, WordPress will need its own e-mail account. The login name will use this email address and it should be kept as a secret because spammers will redirect the links to their own websites.
- Password − Set the password for the above e-mail address.
- Default Mail Category − This e-mail facility allows you to select a custom category for all the posts being published through the post.
- Update Services − When you publish a new post, the site will notify the update services automatically in the WordPress box. See the updated services on codecs for a long list of potential services.